Monday, January 15, 2007

Cold and Flu Home remedy

During wet and cold season, I often dread the anticipated cold and flu spread. It is so common especially in Singapore where you can hear the commuters in trains and buses orchestrate the cough, one after another. This kind of orchestra isn't really something you would want to hear, particularly within confined and crowded space.

That's why I constantly search for remedies. The few of the tried and tested natural remedies work to a certain degree:-

1) lemon juice with honey
2) popping in Vitamin C sweets
3) gargle with salt
4) sleep extra hours
5) put a few drops of lavendar on burner bath
6) put salt in the coke drink
7) drink isotonic beverage

By the way, I avoid lozenges that is 'cooling' as they usually make my throat more irritable and dry. Drinking more water wouldn't really help much in relieving the irritable throat either.

Prevention is always better than cure. Though the spread of cold virus is unavoidable from a droplet of a sneeze, we can reduce the virus spread. There are some useful preventive remedies that I find quite effective:-

1) Wash your hands at all times and avoid touching your face, nose, ears, eyes and mouth
2) Exercise regularly (at least 3 times a day)
3) Sanitize your working, playing and sleeping area at least weekly
4) Manage your stress well before they manage you

If you already caught the cold, it is best to visit your doctor to give you the right medications for your condition. As for me, I take panadol (2 dose, 3 times), rub salt at the entrance of the throat and gargle the excess, take lots of fluids and rest as much as I can before I start begging at my doctor's doorstep for fast relieving remedy. Any better alternatives?

No comments: