Sunday, January 28, 2007

Natural cough remedies

Cough is very common for many. You might also feel like coughing when the person next to you start a small quiet cough. You keep telling yourself it is psychological but somehow, the cough is as contagious as a yawn!! Sounds familiar? You are definitely not alone! At least I am feeling this way too.

The good news is that natural remedies are out there, but for those cough that includes coloured flams, I strongly advise you to see the doctor for the medicine. Still, I am one of those individuals who do not like to see the doctor that frequently.

1) Honey with lemon

I learnt this remedy from my mum. She likes to squeeze the calamansi or lemon juice directly into the ice-mold. When it is frozen, she would indulge herself to the ice-cubes, with ice water that is sweeten with honey. As for me, I like to use her lime-freeze cubes in warm water for my cough. The calamsi contains vitamin C while the honey is harvested from the bees that visit from the natural flowers. Do take some precaution on the brand of honey as the cheaper ones may not be as effective. There are so many honey brands available but it's your body who will eventually tell you if the honey grade.

2) Manuka Honey (activated)

For quality honey, I look for activated manuka honey. It is more expensive than the market price and what makes it so special is the 'activated' word. The honey is extracted from Manuka flowers that contains anti-microbial properties. If you pick up a bottle of Manuka honey, you will also notice UMF, which means 'unique manuka factor'. The higher the number, the more beneficial it is, but so is the price.

You may also notice that this honey taste different from the usual ones (somewhat slightly medicinal) and it is semi-solid. You can simply scoop half a teaspoon and dissolve in warm water. As it may be hard to dissolve the honey, you can take it directly and keep it in your mouth to dissolve slowly; Imagine the honey is like a piece of gold in your mouth! But seriously, I think it's really value for money.

3) Instant Almond powder or syrup

When I am feeling more budgeted, I look for Almond powder or syrup to soothe my cough. I am quite surprise it works well for me. Even when I was young, I remember one of my aunties mentioned about the almond syrup that is good for her kids. I often take it in warm water to enhance in soothing the coughing throat; it somewhat leave a moist film on my throat. In case you are wondering what type of almond I am refering to, its sweet almond, not bitter almond.

4) Apple Cider Vinegar

Sometimes, I like the natural apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar to marinade my green apples. Apple cider vinegar is naturally extracted from fermentation of apple juice to hard apple cider, then a second fermentaion to apple cider vinegar. Sounds really sour and acidic? Intially, Yes; subsequently I get used to it. In fact, it is the sourness that provides the antiseptic properties for your cough. I particularly like the aged rice vinegar that is diluted with apple juice. However, remember to drink lots of water or at least gargle your mouth with water to remove the acids as it can corrode your teeth. And if you have osteoporosis problem, you are not advised to take it too regularly as well due to the potential loss of calcium that you are salvaging in your diet.

5) How about Chocolate?

Actually having chocolate might be a great way to stop your cough due to the presence of theobromine, but sadly, it didn't work for me. Usually, it would block my ears to indicate a potential sore throat and makes my ears slightly painful as well. Still, if this works for you, lucky for you then, but do take them in moderation.

Reference

1) Manuka Honey

2) Chocolate could be cough medicine

3) Cure a Chronic or Nagging cough

4) Apple Cider Vinegar

No comments: